The spouse and children of persons admitted to work and reside in Hong Kong may apply for a Dependent Visa. A Dependent Visa is not subject to any conditions of stay and is normally granted for the same period the main visa holder is eligible to remain in Hong Kong. In support of a Dependent Visa, the sponsor, i.e. the main visa holder, may be required to provide proof of his/her financial capacity to support his/her spouse and children.
Hong Kong Dependent Visa Scheme
The Dependent Visa Scheme is essentially a relocation visa for the immediate family members (spouse and unmarried children below 18 years of age) of foreign nationals who hold a valid Hong Kong visa for employment, investment, training or study in Hong Kong or who are permanent residents in Hong Kong.
Who can apply?
- Unmarried children below 18 years of age
Documents Required for Dependent Visa
Documents need to be submitted by the applicants:
- Completed Dependent Visa Application Form. For a child applicant under the age of 16, the form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian of the child.
- Dependents whose sponsors are applying for visas either for employment as a professional, for investment to join in/establish a business, for training or for studies, need not fill in the separate Dependent Visa Application Form. This is because the application forms for employment visas, investment visas, training visas and visas meant for studies have a built-in section for dependents and can be completed along with the sponsor’s principal application and submitted together.
- A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport. If you are currently staying in Hong Kong, a copy of your passport page containing the latest arrival stamp/extension of stay label in Hong Kong.
- A copy of your Hong Kong identity card (if any)
- A copy of proof of your relationship with the sponsor, e.g. marriage certificates, birth certificates, family photographs, family letters, census record book and Privilege Card for Single Child (if applicable).
Documents to be submitted by the sponsor:
- Part B of the Dependant Visa Application Form
- A copy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card (if any)
- A copy of the personal particulars page of the sponsor’s passport. If the sponsor is currently staying in Hong Kong, a copy of the sponsor’s passport page containing the latest arrival stamp/extension of stay label in Hong Kong
- A copy of proof of the sponsor’s financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings accounts passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips
- A copy of proof of sponsor’s accommodation, e.g. rental receipts.