Domestic Helper Visa
This eligibility criteria, application procedures and points to note for persons who wish to employ a domestic helper from abroad (Helper).
wish to employ a domestic helper from abroad (Helper).
Employers who wish to employ Helpers have to satisfy the following criteria:
- The employer is financially capable of employing a Helper after his/her household expenditure has been deducted. In general, for every Helper to be employed, the employer must have a household income of no less than HK$15,000 per month or assets of the comparable amount to support the employment of a Helper for the whole contractual period. The monthly household income figure of HK$15,000 may be adjusted by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) from time to time.
- The Helper and the employer shall enter into a standard Employment Contract (ID 407) as specified by the Director of Immigration.
- The Helper shall only be required to perform domestic duties for the employer as per the Schedule of Accommodation and Domestic Duties attached to the standard Employment Contract (ID 407).
- The Helper shall not be required or allowed by the employer to take up any other employment with any other person during his/her stay in the HKSAR and within the contract period specified in Clause 2 of the standard Employment Contract (ID 407).
- The employer undertakes to pay the Helper a salary that is no less than the minimum allowable wage announced by the HKSAR Government and prevailing at the date of application for employing the Helper.
- The Helper shall work and reside in the employer’s residence1 as specified in Clause 3 of the standard Employment Contract (ID 407).
- The Helper shall be provided with suitable accommodation and with reasonable privacy .
- The bona fides of the employer and the Helper are not in doubt; there is no known record to the detriment of the employer and the Helper. For details of matters which will be taken into account, please refer to the part “Breaches” below.
- The employer is a bona fide resident in the HKSAR.
A Helper must be in possession of a proper visa before he/she travels to the HKSAR. The issuance of a visa to individual Helper is subject to the normal immigration requirements being met (such as holding a valid travel document with adequate returnability to his/her country of residence or citizenship; be of clear criminal record and raises no security or criminal concerns to the HKSAR, has no likelihood of becoming a burden on the HKSAR; etc). Employers who satisfy the above criteria should not assume that their Helper’s visa application would be approved automatically.
Helpers are not admitted to Hong Kong for settlement. They are not eligible to bring their dependants to Hong Kong for residence.
It normally takes about four to six weeks to process an application for the employment of a Helper upon receipt of all necessary documents. Please do not make enquiries about the progress of the application unless it is absolutely necessary as it may delay the processing of the application.